Monday 19 September 2011

Self Belief

Self belief is an important factor in achievement and satisfaction. Believing in oneself is perhaps a prerequisite to success in any field. We all have competing internal voices; the one which is upbeat and positive which reminds you of your achievements, talents and abilities. The other internal voice normally casts doubt and questions your abilities. In all aspects of life, I believe we always have a choice of which voice to listen to. Hearing only the positive voice and acting on that alone may push you towards being arrogant so it is healthy to ‘hear’ the doubting voice on occasion; to give you a sense of balance and perspective. Listening to yourself and being honest is not easy. Often we push away thoughts that challenge our thinking or our view of who we are because it is difficult to face up to who we really are. Internal voices will challenge you to make a choice between the successful, high achieving self and the failing, under-achiever that can exist within all of us.
Making a choice to stay positive in the face of difficulties and challenges is always tough because we need to pull on our inner reserves of mental strength to get through. It is when times are tough that I like to remind myself that no matter how strong I am, I can be stronger by remembering that loved ones, family and friends can help me. Friends can make me laugh, I can shed a tear with my partner because it okay for him to see me vulnerable and I can count on family to create enough distractions to keep me occupied with all sorts of matters.
Self belief takes all forms, and it is worth remembering that to get to the point that you believe in yourself you have had to convince others to believe in your too. Think about that for a minute; people have employed you, they have asked your advice, asked for support, sought out your company, maybe set up in business with you. Whatever it is that people around you share with you it is because they see in you a person that is attractive, has something good to offer and has confidence. Remembering these things can bolster your self esteem especially when, like now the world is going through tough times. Remember confidence is the key factor in achieving something – if you believe you can; you will!

No comments:

Post a Comment